In Reformation; Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow Dr. Trueman examines the origins of contemporary Reformed theology in the Reformation world of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. After tracing how this heritage shaped and transformed the intervening period, he then describes some of the major challenges being faced by the evangelical church at the present time and suggests ways of responding which remain faithful to the Scriptures and the theology of the Reformers drawn from it and points towards a future that embraces and disseminates these wonderful doctrines of grace.
Theological essays are dusty, humourless affairs aren’t they? Well, they don’t have to be! This is the second collection of essays by Carl Trueman. His first collection was received with the enthusiasm. This time Chick Lit, Adolf Eichman, the i-pod, Roger Beckwith, the Blues, Watership Down, American Idol, Nietzsche, zen-calvinism, Augustine and ferrets(!) all get a mention.
If you want to inform your mind and chuckle at the same time – Carl’s your man!
Do you have an opinion? There is an increasing tendency in Evangelical circles to regard disagreement in our allegedly post-modern world as inherently oppressive. Too many people sit on the fence and ignore, or are unaware of, the fact that Christianity is an historical religion. As Laurence Peter once said “History repeats itself because nobody listens.” The point of having a debate is not to have a debate and then agree to differ (sitting around in a mutually affirming love-fest) – the point of debate, as the Apostle Paul clearly demonstrates time and again in the book of Acts, is to establish which position is best.
Carl Trueman’s intends to provoke you with this collection of essays into thinking for yourself and to have an opinion on THINGS THAT MATTER!
There are five ways to enter the contest. Completing all five of the items listed below will give you five entries into the contest.
- Fill out the form at the bottom of this post (Required)
- Follow @Christian_Focus on Twitter
- Like Christian Focus Publications on Facebook
- Write a post about the giveaway on your blog, helping to promote the contest.
- Leave a comment on this blog post answering the following question: How can the challenges of the protestant reformation equip us to deal with the challenges we face in the church today?
Terms and Conditions:
- This contest is limited to residents of the 48 state continental United States and the UK.
- Contestants may submit five entries as outlined under contest details.
- We are awarding one prize that includes the three books by Carl Trueman noted above.
- The contest will run through end of day July 31, 2011.
- The winner will be announced August 1, 2011.
This contest is now closed. We will be announcing a winner shortly.